Friday 30 March 2012

The Big 40!


My husband's 40th birthday was last weekend.  He didn't want a party, he didn't want any fuss, he didn't want any mention of it.  He's a bit like Don Draper was on his 40th.

I decided to make a birthday boy banner/bunting, and hang it in the dining room.
The theme: The old West

I dragged out my stash, decided on the right fabrics, and got to work.

CUTTING
UNTANGLING


IRONING


ADMIRING

Of course I got a little carried away, and made entirely too much bias.  I do love making it though.  It blows my mind that a 22" by 22" piece of fabric will produce nearly 19 feet of bias. 
I'll keep it in my cupboard for another project. 


I blew up a cowboy font on my printer, and made a pattern for the letters, and sewed all the triangles together with the bias.



In the real old west, the sunshine and dust and dirt would have weathered the birthday banner.  In real life the banner needed a little help from Exacto-knives, sandpaper, teabags and a lighter.



 This part was fun!





I made a badge that my husband was asked to wear when we went out for his birthday brunch.
He was a little embarrassed, but I think you've got to do some things out of your comfort zone in order to enjoy life.





No comments:

Post a Comment