Saturday 9 July 2011

Up-cycled Jammer Bag




I received as a gift, a tote bag made of foil drink pouches.  It was hand-made and is colourful and cool, and it is an incredibly strong bag. I use it all the time for groceries.  

I thought that I would try my hand at making one or two.  
It was in my brain, and fully formed...I had to make the bags NOW!!!

I needed the materials
  • foil bags (lots of them!!) The tote bag needed 18 and the flap bag needs 10.  Start collecting ASAP!  No Frill's has it $1.88/10 this week
  • strapping.  I removed strapping from a bag that had ripped, and it was blue and perfect
  • Velcro.  In my sewing kit.

I was on the lookout for the foil pouches.  At the park, I asked complete strangers for their "garbage" and they handed it over willingly.  
I bring the drinks to gatherings with friends and their kids, so that I can take home the foil pouches. 
My son never drank it before my obsession. I'm buying the drink so I can have the trash.  
Is that really recycling?  perhaps not
The washing and drying of the pouches is the hardest part, and almost discouraged me from completing the project.  It stalled my creativity and the project.  UGH!
My finished bags still have a faint smell of it's former contents.

The foil pouches are really nice to work with, the material folds nicely, yet doesn't dent when un-folded.  The zigzag sewing was easy and satisfying on the machine.   

I really love the result!  




The tote bag needs to have some strapping along the top of the bag, as the pouches are a little sharp.  Not sharp - pointy.  A little irritating on the inside of the arm.  Will do this weekend.
The Tote bag will serve as a small shopping bag, or shoe bag, or whatever bag.  The flap bag was made specifically to house my old - now my sons "new" Game Boy & Accessories Bag.


Next bag, or basket, or placemat (still deciding) will have a more mature theme with these foil pouches.


I'm not going to wash these pouches, because they smell FANTASTIC!!




No comments:

Post a Comment